PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Training in Florida - an honest View
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2009, 20:16
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody getting a PPL here for £8k is doing well.

I did mine in the average time (60hrs??) and it cost me £8.6k, in 2001.

It would cost far less in the USA.

However if I was advising somebody doing this now I would suggest going to the JAA school in California (better weather than Florida so the "project" is more likely to run on rails) and getting out both a JAA and a standalone FAA PPL at the same time.

The often claimed business of learning in UK weather is worth nothing IMHO. It just ensures a load of cancelled lessons and anybody doing it here will take a whole year and will accumulate enough frustration to last them a lifetime of flying. Unless they had some unlogged time from beforehand, and started in the spring, and got reasonably lucky with the weather

However there are other things to consider; for example I would recommend learning in the same plane which you will be renting afterwards (IF you plan on long term renting). That may be harder if one goes to the USA.

But, either way, going to the USA will result in getting on with it, without distractions. Over here, most punters try to fit lessons into a busy life and it takes for ever... I did my IR in Arizona and flew twice a day for 2 weeks - totally exhausting but I got the piece of paper! And operationally the US IR was just as relevant / irrelevant to flying in European airways as the Euro IR would have been.