PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Training in Florida - an honest View
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2009, 17:54
Ryan5252

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hoops?
You will find that the hoops you refer to are far greater on the UK side than on the US side...
When applying for example for a FAR 61.75 certificate, it is they - the CAA who rip you off some 30+ quid simply to divulge the information to the FAA - who charge zero for doing the actual work involved.

TSA hoops - are negligible and pretty much completed online. Just turn up with your fingers to get the dabs done.

Visa application - hardly rocket science but yes it does require a trip and a stand in line at Grosvenor Sq.

As with most things in life, you get out of it - what you are prepared to put in.
I would not have to do any of the above if I continue to fly at home, so to me I regard completing those all above steps as 'jumping through hoops'. As I have said, I am content with my flying at present. This will change down the line and I will look to broaden my horizons when the time comes. I may or may not decide to do this with Uncle Sam but I will make a rational decision considering many variables.
Don't get me wrong, I am open to reasonable persuasion and would consider doing a significant amount of flying anywhere if the circumstances were favorable.

Cheers
Ryan