PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Pending clearance??
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2009, 10:22
triadic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'departed xxx at..., estimating yyy at..., request FL..
If you planned in CTA then I suggest saying "....climbing FL240". That is usually enough for ATC to either give u a cnce or provide some alternative.

Of course you have your assigned altitude indicator set at the highest standard level for your direction of flight - not the CTA base (unless it is the same) - and certainly not the base of Class E if it is a VFR level eg;FL125

By the way, the requirement to provide an ETA for the first waypoint came in with TAAATS as a temporary procedure whilst the controllers got used to the new system. ATC boss of the day said it would only be in for a year or so.... Funny how temporary procedures last so long!!

I recall that the "climbing flightlevels" statement came in way back when CTAFs and MBZs came in and was initially used only within the CTAF/MBZ etc for the benefit of aircraft in that area that did not need to know the detail. Seems to have stuck and now used by folk that don't know why!!!

The QantasLink (in fact before QL - SSA/EAA/SAA) (and others) introduced the all stations call at or about TOD to advise VFRs in the area that they were about to pass thru that airspace. This followed a number of incidents (close calls) when the published calls did not provide sufficient info on the area frequency, especially below A100.

and while we are at it.... I continue to be amazed that many pilots do not include the place name when advising TOD... How in the world is the VFR 500 ft below you (if in G) meant to know where you are when all that is said is:

Center ABC top of descent in 2 minutes (or similar). Center knows where you are and says no traffic etc., but nobody else has a clue. Would be good if center included the place name in the response but that is rare!! And then of course he gives no broadcast!!

This will never end, especially now that many of the trainers and instructors don't know the reasons behind many of the procedures and then try to make up their own!! (and force it on those that they teach...)

Don't get me started on readback!! Another day!!

The wheel has been re-invented many times in this discussion - one just needs to ask the older amongst us a lot of "why" questions....