PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kudos to BA crew
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2009, 09:15
Seat 59A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clarifications

Some good and interesting responses here. So, as I was the original poster, let me clarify a few points.

1. First and foremost, the original purpose of the post was not to complain, but to give credit to BA staff for recent excellent service. One of the most pleasant BA flights I have been on in recent years.

2. Second, in mentioning the Jet Lite service from Mumbai to Goa, I was no way suggesting that I had an expectation of such service on UK and European short-haul flights. I was merely observing that I sat in stunned admiration at the enthusiasm of the 4 cabin crew who managed to serve a full 737 with a complete meal in 45 minutes flat!! I did not personally partake as it was the middle of the day and I didn't need anything.

3. However, I do understand those who made the point about early morning business flights. It can be tough to get up at 4 or 5 a.m. and not be given a coffee and croissant at that time of day. It's not a big ask.

4. As for the commentator who made the slightly scornful comment about my complaint about paper cups in F, well, I don't actually regard it as a totally petty complaint. I was not sleeping until top of descent either. This was in the context of the regular breakfast service (which in my observation BA serves a good deal earlier than most airlines as they like to clear the decks well before top of descent). I do seriously think that, in these days of intense competition (I have just flown Etihad and, boy, that really is competition), BA needs to think very, very carefully indeed about the cumulative effect of apparently small cuts in service quality. Given the price of tickets (regardless of whether travel is personal or business, I ultimately choose the carrier), I do not think that it is too much to ask that F and J service standards are maintained at a level commensurate with the competition. By the way, if the commentator is current or ex-cabin crew, and still cannot see what is wrong with a paper cup, then I would be much more concerned about that comment!!

5. Finally, to repeat, the point of the original post, to turn a phrase, was to praise him, and not to bury him!!