PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Antarctica trip
Thread: Antarctica trip
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2009, 05:52
John Eacott

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Smile Antarctica trip

I've been prevailed upon to post photos of the trip that I've just had to Antarctica, on the icebreaker L'Astrolabe supporting the French at Dumont D'Urville. Lots and lots of photos (it was my first trip ), not all directly aviation related; but I hope they're interesting nonetheless. I know that many Rotorheads have done this sort of flying many times, and are far more knowledgeable about the area, so just enjoy the views as much as I did

I only took 900+ photos as the camera broke and would only take one photo, then it had to be turned off, then turned on, then take another shot. I missed a lot of good pics, but there are enough to keep the memories

The mess was tiny (like the rest of the ship) and if you didn't like meat and potatoes, you could have potatoes and meat. Nice guys, the Ukranians, but

Once into the pack ice, it was time to find a decent size chunk of ice to park on:

So that we could juggle the helicopters out of "Le Garage"

On the way through the ice, the penguins started appearing. They're on their way to the nesting grounds, and are so funny to watch:

Finally parked:

And out come the helicopters: slowly!