PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NYPD Aviation Unit - Going shopping!
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2002, 21:46
SandBlaster-214

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, Hoverman, I'm taking the bait.

Officer Bronx,

I'm old school and a little light on operational experience with the "new" twins on the market today such as the EC120, 135, BH 430, 427, etc., so I'm going to defer any opinion with regard to anything I haven't flown.

What does NYPD do with the aircraft? Are you mainly into patrol work, rescue, EMS? What are your plans for the new aircraft? How many people do you want to carry?

I've seen a few agencies using 117's and 105's. Phoenix is using the NOTARs as is the NPS in Grand Canyon (I believe that Papillon actually owns that aircraft). As a side note, Grand Canyon is somewhere around 6500 ft. How well it does - I have no idea, and if I'm not mistaken, the NPS aircraft is the twin version (I don't know the designators).

The 117s are very popular with EMS and they tend to pack a lot of toys wherever they go.

What about your neighbors in Maryland? They're flying the twin Dauphine's aren't they?

I think I've spent too much time in the woods to be of any real help here, but if it were me, I'd ask for four more 412s.

Thanks for the time.

C Ya