PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Pel-Air Westwind Ditching off NLK
Old 20th Nov 2009, 02:26
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haven't read the whole seven pages, so apologies if I'm not the first to say it, but in my experience, it's uncanny how often a pilot whose skill and daring are trumpheted in the press (along with that grossly overused 'hero' word) immediately after the incident, when the evidence is compiled and the final report tabled, turns out to be anything but.

Call me an old fart, but in my opinion, a professional pilot doesn't commit to an island destination, especially at night, unless the weather is gin clear.

The boss is backing up his pilot. Some may see that as admirable. Cynics might think that he's doing so while trembling at the thought of the litigation that is almost certainly heading his company's way when the final report comes out, to say nothing of what recommendations the regulator might come up with.

Having said all that, successfully dictching a jet at night in open water without killing or even injuring anyone on board was probably a better effort than many of us, if we were honest with ourselves, would expect we'd be able to do ourselves. I'm very glad I never found myself in such a position.