PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simulators in Pilot Training.
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2009, 23:50
Easy Street

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
Back in a mis-spent childhood I put in a reasonable amount of time playing MS Flight Sim (version 3 - a few years ago now!). What would I say this did for me when I eventually started flying training on a UAS several years later? Well, it meant that I was immediately familiar with all the instruments in the cockpit, which made the groundschool, and early lessons such as Straight + Level, Climbing + Descending, and Medium Turns straightforward. It also meant that I understood how to interpret VOR and ILS displays, which gave a decent headstart on the Instrument phases (incidentally, interpreting instrument displays is a staple of the OASC aptitude tests, so is useful there as well).

However, it was completely useless as far as handling was concerned (not least because my parents wouldn't buy a joystick, so I used to play using the cursor keys!). Countering propeller torque with rudder is something you won't encounter properly in a computer game; nor is trimming. During the early part of my flying training, I had to fight the temptation to look in at the instruments the whole time - you're supposed to look out and set the attitude visually, which was quite difficult to do on a computer screen!

Overall, it certainly didn't do me any harm. Practice whatever you like on MSFS, especially instrument flying, but be prepared to "unlearn what you have learned" as soon as you start training (and definitely don't say "but I used to do it this way on Flight Simulator" during a sortie debrief!)

Last edited by Easy Street; 20th Nov 2009 at 00:35.