PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2009, 22:30
One9iner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FANS, I agree.

As they say, no graph is one directional; however it seems in this case - in terms of employment rights, pay, futures, T&C's etc... - the lowco route into the career for a newbie, the graph seems one directional at present.

However, in the true sense of my original statement, if the flexi/contract deal is the way into the industry for the next few years, the model will surely have to change to force the graph upwards.

I pose a question (and don't get me wrong, I would never defend such practices by Brookfield which are so detrimental for employees) where does everyone see the business model of the industry in 5 years?

I can't see a model of the industry working long term; whereby the whole industry is in two levels.

Level 1. A newbie gains an IR, fATPL, and then works as a self ltd company. With no full time job on the horizon.
Level 2. Pilots who unfroze their license way before the flexi world, work for airlines and are promoted through the system. To retire at 65.

At some point, the number of pilots who only acheive flexi flying hours per year will dominate the pilot pool - from age 20-65. Then airlines will only have low houred guys of all ages lacking any real experience, in the pot to pick for captains.

The model isn't sustainable. I don't doubt, the flexi model will be with us for a while yet. But terms and numbers, and seniority methods will HAVE to change.

(Long term . I know!)

Last edited by One9iner; 20th Nov 2009 at 00:10.