PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Q/XC story
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2002, 20:54
iainpoll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Another Q/XC story

Following on from Hersham Boy's post, I finally got to do my solo Q/XC today. (After nemerous false starts)!

Funny really, wasnt in the least bit nervous this morning, but when my instructor (you know who you are) signed me out, the butterflies started! So much so, that I started to make silly mistakes, such as trying to start the a/c with the mixture at ICO, never done that before!

I had filled the PA28 (G-SACI) right to the top, so she was a little tricky at lift off and initial climb. My nervousness got the better of me as I made an ass of myself on the R/T overhead Rochester, and then Lashenden, and bungled my way into Lydd.

For some reason after Lydd, things just 'clicked' , my R/T suddenly improved as did my airspeed, heading, and altitude control. The waypoints started appearing on time and where expected.

A very busy Shoreham was the next landing, but I felt in my element, and every thing went to plan. Thanks very much to the controller who complimented me after leaving Shoreham, it was VERY much appreciated.

Arrived back at Stapleford without drama, what an experience, rounded off by a pint of Stella, and a cigar. I feel a lot more confident about the skills test now (although it still scares the s**t out of me)!

I think the moral of this story is dont get uptight, relax and enjoy it!

Hersh, love to swap notes with you - well done again!

Iain

Last edited by iainpoll; 19th Jun 2002 at 22:01.