PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 accidents: Is there a pattern?
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2009, 20:32
chopper.al

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
biggles,

that is what I'm actually saying. We should have the 'self preservation' not to let ourselves get into that situation, ie. listen to the instructors, listen to your peers and above all, take this flying malarky as seriously as possible. It's the same set of rules (and laws of physics) whether you've flown 20 hours or 2000 hours.

As I said, I am low hours but every flight I have is as well thought out and pre planned as possible. I read all the AAIB circulars, take the weight and balance thing seriously (I'm 6' 6'' and weigh 18 stone so I need to!!!) and brief my passengers on all aspects before flight. I take these things very seriously but I'm sure there are plenty of low hours guys who think 'it'll never happen to me' and end up in that very situation where they are flying outwith their capabilities.

If i have any problems with any area of my flying I am not too proud to go and ask for some tuition from those in the know but i wonder just how many people would? I passed my GFT in minimum hours so was happy with my progress as I was being instructed (and Dave Young was my instructor, he certainly expected the best from you) but I knew that there was plenty more to learn. I think this is the attitude to have if you want to exercise a bit of 'self preservation'.

Thanks, Alan.