PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Training in Florida - an honest View
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2009, 20:24
Katamarino

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, if you just intend to bimble around within a few hours or so of your home base, that's fair enough! But as you have never flown in the USA, I don't seriously think you can call my comment idiotic ; try it, you'll love it, and see where I am coming from.

As for the free landings comment (and yes, of the hundreds of US airports I have visited, only 1 had a landing fee - parking fees might be $3 a day, at the majority of mid-size airports, and free at most unattended ones); do you only ever land at home base? If so, it's a valid point; I'm glad you get pleasure from that kind of flying, as I certainly can't imagine just doing that! I've met plenty of great people in the UK and Europe when flying; but only in the US have I been invited to stay at people's homes after a single meeting, and been left people's cars with keys in the ignition after meeting them at the airfield, just in case we need to go somewhere that night! People in the Europe are normally civil, and often friendly, but rarely anywhere near that warm or welcoming. It's just a different culture.

The joy of flying, for me, is that I can jump in the plane, and an hour's flying can take me from Rotterdam to the UK, or France, or Belgium, or Germany. Can't do that in a car!

Ultimately, I guess as long as we're both enjoying our flying and keeping GA going, so much the better! But to get back to the original thread; I can recommend wholeheartedly doing a PPL in the USA. If you then come back and fly in Britain, then you're getting experience in two different environments and systems, and doubling your experience can hardly be a bad thing, can it?