PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR Over the top.
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2009, 17:57
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When making decisions regarding " Right or Wrong " one should examine the issues objectively rather than subjectively.

VFR over the top is safe as long as one has planned the flight being 100% sure you can land safely should the engine quit. I wish I had a dollar for every time I was on top of scattered clouds that slowly became broken then overcast as I flew over them, what does a pilot who can not fly an instrument approach do if he/she gets to their destination and finds a solid layer of cloud under them?

True there is some level of risk involved in all flying, the secret to a long life is examining the risks then making decisions of where and how you will fly based on the level of risk for that flight.

I personally prefer two of everything including engines and pilots.

I do not fly single engine IFR.

I do not fly single engine beyond gliding distance of land.

I do not fly single engine at night except maybe for training flights at an airport...hell I can't remember the last time I did that though.

Note that that is only my personal limits but in retrospect it has worked quite well for me.

Here is a true story.

I have been flying for fifty six years and never had to land a single engine airplane with zero power until two summers ago. We were trying to decide which route to take back to B.C. from Toronto. After some thought on it I said to my friend lets go the long way so we don't have to fly over all that water just north west of us just in case the engine quits, he said hell this is a brand new airplane.

We ended up having a complete engine failure but fortunately we were within gliding range of an airport. Had we went the short way we would have been over water.......