PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lying Pilots ? Commercial Pressures (Threads Merged)
Old 19th Jun 2002, 20:18
Capt Pit Bull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course the reverse happens as well.

About a week ago, flying inbound to LGW on Willo 3C. 99 times out of a hundred, direct GWC is instructed, which cuts off the first few waypoints.

This time was one of the rare times when such a clearance was not received. On sector handover, next controller most incredulous that we should be on track for AVANT (IIRC), not GWC, and then proceeds to inform us in no uncertain terms (i.e. bollocking) that Willo 3C does not have the earlier waypoints!

On the speed control side of things (remembering from my post a few months ago that I'm on your side) can I just point out that wind velocity does vary horizontally as well as vertically, and sometimes quite markedly. I've had ATC query my speed on a couple of times - usually when there is a big tailwind - so controllers perhaps don't always think wind.

I was also once queried on finals at LGW. Aircraft behind being given 'back to minimum because aircraft ahead is not doing as told', when we were flying the standard 160 to 4, as instructed, (LGW based and knowing the score). It was a rough old day and we had seen a 40 kt headwind increase to 80 Kts over a couple of miles.

Now of course I'm not suggesting that all misbehaviour on the part of the pilots can be explained by such circumstances, I just want to point out that Ground speed read outs might not be quite as omniscient as you think.

CPB