PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Pel-Air Westwind Ditching off NLK
Old 19th Nov 2009, 12:59
Trash 'n' Navs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions

Tio,
anything else is school yard speculation and has no place here
Don't fortget this is a forum for discussion about aviation issues. Just like in the crew room or instructors room at any flying organisation anywhere in the world, pilots tend to talk about other pilots' experiences in order to learn and develop their skills. Pprune is simply a virtual variation. If you'd prefer not to be involved in the discussion, there's news sites that will give you information without the discussion.

Having listened to the Airport Manager's interview, I agree with Checkboard - they were either the longest approaches ever made to NLK or he didn't have the 2 hrs reserves.

Another aspect that puzzles me is that if he had time to shoot 3 approaches, why didn't he take time to brief those on the island what his intentions were? After all, they're the ones who would come out to get him.

Finally, for such a long overwater flight, I'd have made damn sure I had my lifejacket within arms reach (if not on) - that goes for the rest of the crew & pax too. No good having them in the back - it's like fuel in the bowser.

There's no doubt he made the very best of a bad situation - keeping the pax together etc. But how did he end up in that situation to begin with? Was it Pel-Air's SOPs that let him down, px from base (perceived or otherwise), was it other outside agencies giving him duff gen or was it his command decisions?

Any of which will provide learning points for all of us.

I await the ATSB report with keen interest.

Edited addition: The Airport Manager also mentioned they did not hear a MayDay call. How planned was the ditching?

Last edited by Trash 'n' Navs; 19th Nov 2009 at 13:22.