PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Train now or hold out?
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2009, 11:01
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you think you are serious about flying, go find out. However I wouldn't go investing in any 'ab-initio' schemes, as you put it. You will need to hang on there.

If you have cash on the hip, do some serious research on the PPL front. You want to develop the right skills early on. Skills that will be transferable at a later stage (if and when you enter commercial training). Like in all things, aviation training is litered with the 'good' and the 'bad' and it's important to distinguish between the two at an early stage. Glossy publications, fancy facilities and a load of hype and bullsh1t doesn't equal top gun acadamy, if you get my drift. That counts for all levels of training.

So, if you are serious, go do a little reasearch. Talk to people (not just the 'sales' team or respective employees of a school), do a little networking, read a few books. You have bags of time on your hands so invest it wisely. A successful level of initial training to PPL level will pay off greatly when you take things to the next level. Unfortunately, I have to say, you need to regard that next level as being some distance away at the present time.