PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Pending clearance??
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2009, 01:34
Captain Sand Dune

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The response to this thread further proves my theory that even if you’re the ace from space but sound like a d*ckhead on the radio, that’s what others will think you are.

Guard: There is no reference to a guard frequency in AIP. However most military aircraft have a UHF radio that can Tx/Rx on the selected frequency, and Rx on 243.0 MHz otherwise referred to as “guard” frequency. This is where use of the term “guard” may have come from.

Request Traffic: AIP GEN page 3.4 – 33, down the bottom shows the phrase “request traffic” is an “approved” phrase.

Visual on Top: AIP ENR page 1.1 – 20 paragraph 11.1.6 states that on first contact with Approach Control the pilot should report “flight conditions”. I can’t find anywhere else in AIP that expands on this. Therefore in my opinion; “in cloud” means exactly that, “visual” means I am clear of cloud and can see the ground/water, and “visual on top” means I am clear of cloud but can’t see the ground/water because there’s cloud underneath. I consider this pertinent information to pass to ATC.

The phraseology listed in AIP cannot cover all possible situations. Sometimes “plain speech” is the most efficient way of getting the message across. That’s my justification for using the phrases above to describe “flight condition”.

And my pet hate……….."climbing to flight levels”. WTF is this supposed to mean? “Hey everybody, I’m flying a pressurised aircraft and can operate above 10,000FT”. Another one of these “kool” phrases to use. How about actually stating what level you’re climbing to as per AIP. Page GEN 3.5 – 55 if you’re too lazy to find it yourself.