PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 7
Thread: MANCHESTER - 7
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2009, 22:05
Suzeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ops Tower Bar

Just found this on UK Airport News.

I assume that this is the old Ops Tower rather than Control Tower!

So where has everyone gone who used to work in the Ops Tower - Ops 3 etc and I think the PABX was up there at one stage?

I don't suppose there would be any chance of cask ale up there but it would be nice to have some somewhere at MAN. How come there is no Wetherspoons at MAN - plenty at other UK airports!

Suzeman

In a world first, Manchester Airport is to convert its old (and currently out of use) control tower in Terminal 1 to create an elevated 110sq m luxury bar. The airport is seeking a partner to manage the new business once complete.

The space is arranged over four levels, with Level 5 featuring the open-plan bar. There, passengers will have unobstructed views over the airfield. Access is from Level 2 – the main retail area in Departures - via a lift or a spiral staircase within the core of the building. The Level 2 entrance area could be opened up to the concourse, and could be used for merchandising to maximise passing trade. This area could also be used as a reception / concierge zone where guests could wait before travelling to the bar on Level 5.

Manchester Airport said the control tower would contain ‘an exciting space with unparalleled views,’ and that it would be ‘comfortable, intimate and special’. The company added: ‘Manchester Airport is committed to working together in partnership to create an innovative and remarkable destination for a special brand.’ The bar aims to complement the recent £50m upgrade of Terminal 1.