PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Linux Corner
Thread: Linux Corner
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2009, 19:52
four_two

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much bnt,the little red Package Manager icon has disappeared and I assume everything is now ok.

Well perhaps not everything as this was tacked on to the end.

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 9.10 iso Image/dists/karmic/main/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 9.10 iso Image/dists/karmic/restricted/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

So flushed with success I entered apt-cdrom and got the following(I thought in for a penny in for a pound) even if I didn't really know what it all meant.

~$ apt-cdrom
apt 0.7.20.2ubuntu6 for i386 compiled on Apr 17 2009 04:25:38
Usage: apt-cdrom [options] command

apt-cdrom is a tool to add CDROM's to APT's source list. The
CDROM mount point and device information is taken from apt.conf
and /etc/fstab.

Commands:
add - Add a CDROM
ident - Report the identity of a CDROM

Options:
-h This help text
-d CD-ROM mount point
-r Rename a recognized CD-ROM
-m No mounting
-f Fast mode, don't check package files
-a Thorough scan mode
-c=? Read this configuration file
-o=? Set an arbitrary configuration option, eg -o dir::cache=/tmp
See fstab(5)

I think it's referring to the download I had of Ubuntu ISO Image 9.10 on my desktop- in anticipation of having to reinstall Ubuntu if I was unable to get help for my problem.

As far as I can see - because I put a cd in my player - the player is recognised, and plays.

Thanks again for your help, although I did try the Ubuntu forums I think I might have tried in the wrong forum.