PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAUTION: Free Online Banking Security Software
Old 18th Nov 2009, 10:52
Volant Brique

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update as Requested

As this forum has specifically requested me to keep this forum updated, I am now doing this.

As I previously posted on here, I responded to the Agent Team Leader with the offer of opening a dialogue. They responded with an arranged time to have a telephone conversation. This has now taken place with the conversation lasting some 35 minutes.

Within this conversation I was able to explain fully as to how I had inadvertently corrupted my system by installing their program and then using the Windows Add/Remove facility to remove it. However, for whatever reason this had still continued to corrupt my system in certain unique operations. I have to say they were very receptive to hear what I had to say and I do believe that they fully appreciated my concerns. They have advised me that the program has been updated since I had installed it and they are now of the opinion that it should not happen again. They were also able to appreciate that I no longer wished to install it again after my experiences. I did make other suggestions to them that they will consider for future versions. The main one being for their program installation to review prior to installation the current software installed on the computer system and then advise the user that if the installation continues that they will have to make changes to their current system. Additionally, provide their own Removal Tool facility for their program.

I started this thread with the following opening paragraph:
“In light of my experience as provided below, I would strongly advise anyone to be very cautious about installing the additional security software Trusteer Rapport as provided free and encouraged by many different online banking organisations.”

I have to say that I still stand by this. I am NOT saying do NOT install this program. I just advice caution.

I would also highly recommend anyone considering installing this program, to research it first. It does not take much ‘googling’ to ascertain from many other professionals as well as many other different forum users that my problems are not that unique.

As a starting point, just review the Trusteer FAQs on their own website.

Examples:
Link: Frequently Asked Questions | Trusteer

Does Rapport store or send any information about me?
Rapport creates an encrypted signature of your credentials on your computer. This information cannot be used to retrieve your credentials and is used by Rapport to identify any unauthorized leakage of your credentials. Rapport sends anonymous reports about security events and internal errors to a central server. This information is used to improve the product and the policy. You can specifically instruct Rapport not to send out any information.

Comment: why does it not default to NOT sending information and then SPECIFICALLY ask you if it can? Unless you had been able to unearth this deep in the bowels of their website, you would not be aware of this.

If I lack any computer knowledge, can I still use Rapport?
Absolutely! Rapport is extremely easy to use. There is absolutely no technical background or process required, other than installing Rapport with a few mouse clicks. Rapport does not require configuration, does not change the way you work, does not alter browser behaviour, does not require anything from you, and unlike most conventional security solutions, does not ask you technical questions when it encounters a security threat. Rapport is the most powerful yet convenient security solution on the market.

Comment: I am not very technically competent with computers. However, I do have some experience and believe that I am at least one level up from the average non-technically competent computer user. Yet not only did I have problems but the professionals within Microsoft as well as their Research laboratory had problems.

Lastly consider the compatibility with other security software.

Link: Compatibility with other security software | Trusteer

It lists a total of 15 security software programmes that should not need any configuration changes.

This is followed by a total of 38 other security software programmes (many of the very commonly used types) that they then provide individual links that will require configuration changes. Some of these in my opinion are quite serious and could reduce the normal achieved security elements provided by them.

I do really question the different online banking organisations attempting to encourage or even force their customers to install this program. Whilst my online banking organisation, that caused all my problems in the first instance, did make you go through ‘nag’ screens to install this program, they no longer do that. They still allow an option should you so wish to install it. Whether or not this is as a result of my communication with them I do not know.

As Green Graphite previously posted on here:
“The problems will arise when the banks start to say look we've got this wonderful piece of security software, download it or we wont reimburse you if your account gets hacked and emptied.”

I would suggest that if your online banking organisation is in anyway attempting to force you to install this program, if you are so minded, I would recommend that you advise them as the reasons why you are not doing so, possibly highlighting Trusteers own website FAQ.

I hope that this follow up is of some benefit.

VB