PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cirrus sr22
Thread: cirrus sr22
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2009, 08:53
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the extreme, I would not fly at all (except a trivial local jolly down the coast) without GPS. It takes just one little c*ockup (forget to restart the stopwatch, etc) and bang there you are in CAS, and the CAA won't give you any credit for doing things the proper WW2 way...

Above that, there is going to be a progression.

Obviously, better data presentation will expand the mission capability. Not the raw technical one (only stuff like de-ice equipment can do that) but the one at which the pilot feels comfortable.

In the same way, a BRS chute would expand my mission capability because I would not need to worry as much about overflying large forests or mountains. A 2nd engine is probably better (though I would be suprised if the total fatal stats support that, because it is so easy to get killed in a twin at low speeds) but it costs an awful lot of money, ongoing.

I don't think many people are happy talking about a BRS chute expanding mission capability but it must have that effect, and IMHO legitimately so because so much is down to personal attitude to risk.