PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cirrus sr22
Thread: cirrus sr22
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2009, 08:45
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I guess glass does encourage pilots to take on trips they might otherwise not - but is that such a bad thing?

The reality is that most pilot's basic navigation skills are poor or very poor. They are nervous about flying any distance and infringing CAS or not finding their destination. They are nervous about entering the circuit incorrectly or wrongly identifying the active runway.

If glass solves some of those concerns it is not a bad thing at all.

In IF conditions it massively simplifies flying an IP or ID or just generally flying the route accurately. Once again I would hazard this is no bad thing.

It may encourage some pilots to set off in conditions which are marginal - the typical non instrument pilot flying in conditions close to IMC. That is I think a genuine concern albeit I suspect this has more to do with the belief that the auto pilot will handle the flying rather than taking comfort in the glass.

In fact I think the systems are very simple for a VFR flight. I can barely think of any combination of buttons you could press that would result in a problem or would need cause the pilot concern. Almost whatever you do the basic information remains on the display.

Using the system for IF is a different matter. The test is having set up for an arrival at a particular destination can you reprogram the system in flight to change the destiantion and set up a new IA ending on an ILS. There are plenty of opportunities in my opinion to get the system into a "loop" and become over involved with twisting and pushing in an effort to sort things out. The only answer for this is to really know the system in side out - IMHO you should not be flying glass in IMC unless you are really comfortable with all the systems.