PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cirrus sr22
Thread: cirrus sr22
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2009, 08:20
Justiciar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glass cockpits tend to come with a lot of stuff that encourages an expansion of the missions flown in the plane.
Yes, that was one of the points I was trying to make, probably badly. My general concern is that mentally the glass PFD may be seen by some as a substitute for basic airmanship and that however nice and modern the avionics look they do nothing to enhance the capabilities and limitations of the airframe. For this reason some may be tempted to fly beyond their or the aircraft's limitations.

The other issue is the complexity of the systems and here I have no direct knowledge. However, I do get the impression that the all glass PFD along with the current certified GPSs can amount to considerable extra work load in certain circumstances. OK, this can be addressed to a degree by the amount of training a pilot is given or prepared to undertake, but when the proverbial hits the fan we all know how easy it is to become mentally overloaded and for performance to drop. Again, perhaps a contributory factor? Aircraft with complex systems on public transport flights have two pilots for a reason!