PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2009, 08:07
Fratemate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MMmm, good question and one that I cannot be absolutely positive about but I'm sure there will be someone around here with a more intimate understanding of the Japanese system than I. However, I would suggest that you would be able to remain in Japan for, perhaps, one of your days off blocks but not two or three consecutive blocks. I say this because your wife would be in Japan on a tourist visa, whereas you are here on a 7 day shore pass (after training). It may be possible to convince the Company you want to enjoy your time off in Japan and do the touristy thing and they may be able to talk to the immigration people and get you a tourist visa for that period. But we are talking about the Land Of Paperwork here and this could very easily fall into the 'teeth-sucking, too difficult' pile. I definitely do not think it would be possible to do it on a regular basis and, when considering the job, would plan on the norm, i.e. leaving Japan on your days off.

If you're desperate to keep both of you out of the States (for tax reasons or whatever) but don't want a long commute during your days off, you could always consider getting a place in somewhere closer, such as Thailand, and then going there during days off on a tourist visa.

Personally, I really do enjoy working for this company, truly consider it a great deal and genuinely really like the Japanese people and Japan but, by the time it gets to going-home time, I'm ready to leave the country and I'm off like a prawn in the sun