PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is your most memorable airshow and why
Old 19th Jun 2002, 15:42
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

We used to have a show every year at Woodford and one at Barton. None in the area at all now :~((

But what memories - Lighnings and Phantoms doing transonic flybys, Vulcans shaking the earth, Sukois doing what only they seem able to do. And I remember some pre-show events at Barton - they used to have a 'press day' the Friday before, where many participants turned up (especially the services) and flew somewhat more 'adventurously' than they might on show day! I remebr standing near a Sea King when a Harrier called up for a fly by. "just aim for the Sea King", said the controller. A tiny dot, trailing smoke, rapidly grew bigger as if flashed silently across the field towards me (must have been very close to supersonic). It flew over the Sea King so low that the (stationary) rotors bounced up and down, and very car alarm in the car park went off as well.

In contrast, Brian Lecomber arrived in the Stampe and went straight into the best low level Stampe display I've ever seen. All activity on the airfield stopped - the fencers, tent putter-uppers, line painters, everyone stopped to watch - then burst into sponatneous applause at the finish.

Lovely!!

SSD