PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Demise of Hong Kong Airlines
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2009, 07:09
Jamie J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would agree that the most important consideration when thinking of joining HKA/HKE is whether to trust that the deal you sign will stay the same. Some pilots have got stuck there having signed rental agreements, moved their family and signed training bonds and now regret it.

I used to advise single guys (HK is too expensive for family guys on HKA/HKE salaries) to come and get quick experience and then leave. But now I wouldn't even advise this.

For example;
- No Paid Leave started by sending txt messages to pilots the night before they report telling them that they now have a week's NPL every month (i.e. 25% pay cut)
- 2 weeks notice that basic wages had been cut 40-50%, annual leave reduced from 14 days (plus 16 public holiday) to 12 + PHs. Those that didn't sign got sacked.
- 4 pilots promised commuter contracts at interview. They finish their training; no commuter contract.
- pilots put in dormitory type accommodation, cabin crew sharing rooms (both now stopped by CAD).
- promised command upgrades not happening for years
- annual flights to home country and shipping allowance removed from contract
- reduction of medical cover by finding cheaper and cheaper policies (medical treatment is expensive in HK!)
- promotions given without the accompanying pay rise!

And these things are still happening now.

Many other injustices and disceptions are documented in this thread.
The way employees are treated by management is reflected by the huge number of cases that have taken through the Labour Tribunal courts by employees over the last 2 years.

Suppliers, contractors, hotels, they have all had difficulty dealing with HKA/HKE which (along with bad management and poor safety culture) is why they have such an appalling reputation in Hong Kong and beyond.

As a pilot thinking of joining, you need to ask yourself 2 questions;

1. Do you trust that the contract you sign and the promises you are made will be honoured?

2. Do you want the bad reputation of this company to be attached to you by having it on your CV?