PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Evaluating stall characteristics - best procedure?
Old 18th Nov 2009, 05:02
3 Point

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Genghis,

Yes, I acknowledge that you were agreeing with JF; as I said I think we are all in agreement here.

Your last post above is spot on, particularly the final paragraph. Of course a student needs to be exposed to the range of an aeroplane's behaviors and certainly, it is usually wise to start from the benign and move towards the "interesting" aspects of that behavior! The exact starting point, the rate of progress and the ultimate goal will vary from student to student and the art of teaching is to match the lessons to the student's capacity.

PA is spot on too. The gentle approach to a stall with very gradual rates of change replicates very well an unexpected stall on approach. But the operational pilot needs to be equally well trained and prepared for other situations eg ...

level flight, possibly autopilot in altitude hold, engine failure or autothrust trips off, pilot busy with associated actions does not notice approaching stall ... has happened, will happen again!

Engine failure on climb (in multi engine or, worse single engined aeroplane) pilot focuses on dealing with engine failure, aeroplane approaches stall very rapidly indeed.

I'd slightly amend PA's final comment; not to scare but to educate!

Happy landings!