PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Pending clearance??
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2009, 22:32
FGD135

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, the sheer number of ridiculous things that my fellow pilots insist on saying on the radio.

Here's another variation:

XXX Centre VH-ABC, Departed YXXX XX, tracking XXX reference XX VOR, on climb FL XXX
What's with the "reference XX VOR"? Completely unnecessary. My fellow pilots just love saying unnecessary things.

And, more and more these days, I am noticing the departure call preceeded by:

Centre, VH-ABC, IFR departure
What's with the "IFR" bit? Completely and totally unnecessary - but I guess it sounds cool. Poor airmanship and an indicator of a lack of professional discipline on the part of the pilot.

What about "request traffic". This phrase is in widespread use by IFR pilots across Australia. IT IS COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY to "request traffic". Centre will always give it to you at the appropriate times. ALWAYS.

I have been flying IFR in Australia for over 10 years now and have never used this phrase - but Centre has always given me traffic when necessary.

Why on earth do pilots think they have to request traffic? Maybe because they hear so many others doing it. What next? Requesting takeoff clearance after the tower clears you to line up?

I know there is a phrase in the AIP for requesting traffic BUT THAT IS FOR TIMES WHEN CENTRE WON'T GIVE IT TO YOU AUTOMATICALLY (e.g. when VFR).

Hey you clowns that insist on "requesting traffic": If you're going to be consistent, how about you use it not only when changing level but start appending that phrase to your taxi report. E.g:

Centre, VH-ABC, C310, IFR, 3POB, taxying XXX for XXX, request traffic

Last edited by FGD135; 17th Nov 2009 at 22:45.