PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Linux Corner
Thread: Linux Corner
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2009, 20:16
four_two

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to post this problem I have with my Package Manager in Ubuntu in the hope that someone can point me towards resolving it.

Although I've been using Ubuntu- in its various versions- for a couple of years- I'm pretty clueless about it as an operating system but as it's been very tolerant of me, and reliable, that hasn't been a problem.

A few days ago the icon that relates to the Package Manager turned a nasty shade of red and when I hover my mouse over it I get the following error message :

“Error Opening the cache (E=Encountered a section with no Package: header, E:Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/
gb.archive.ubuntu.com_dists_jaunty_universe_binary-i386_Packages, E the lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.)”
This usually means that your installed packages have unmet dependencies

I looked on the Ubuntu forums and found the same problem with some instructions to follow. For example in the Terminal try:

1)sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

2)Change the software source and enter sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install -f

With the result I've ended up with virtually the same snag.

Reading package lists... Error!
E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.canonical.com_ubuntu_dists_jaunty_partner_binary-i386_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

As things stand I can't keep my system up to date so if I can't fix it I will execute plan B (to reinstall Ubuntu usingJaunty Jackelope as opposed to the one previous).

If someone has any ideas to help me – and of course simple enough for me to understand - I would be grateful.