PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brown looks at £1bn helicopter order
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2009, 17:21
Not_a_boffin

Received 170 Likes on 91 Posts
If the answer is the Wokka, then what's the question?

Your points on EMI etc are well made, but I think I'm right in suggesting that neither V22, nor AH have operated off a grey-war canoe for extended periods. V22 (which is designed for a maritime environment) has done a couple of landing on a CVS and AH has done a number of deck trials off LPH, but neither has operated to the best of my knowledge.

Nor can one get round the issue of folding by hoping that a limited capability of LPH/CVS will suffice while waiting for a big-deck CVF with appropriate lifts. Those cabs will have to operate off a range of decks (including the cloggies) and a Wokka on deck knocks out two spots compared to a folded MH of some description.

As to light blue proclivities towards embarked ops, you're not kidding. When I was going round Benson and Odiham a couple of years back, the unanimous response to the idea of such was "where's me PVR form?" from a bunch of people who were busily working their @rses off in both sandy places and quite rightly worried that another demand was in the offing.