PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seeing a disc drive run.
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2009, 17:04
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
I'd forgotten about that program. At first it seemed to do exactly what I wanted, but then I noticed that the warning lights were not following the rules.

I'd loaded the exe file twice...(one copy on each physical drive). Two lights on the tray seemed to be independent at first, but L-S-S, they weren't.

With the screen open, one can see that as the second copy opens, the first just stops. The full screen shows drive in use - 0 or 1 - but there seems nothing to actually force each program to just look at one drive, and then reduce to warning lights only.

Indeed, when I had another look at 'Process monitor', it doesn't have any indication of the drive in use. Well, not as far as I can see in the allotted time. I opened columns showing I/O, but nothing stated where the reading and writing was taking place.

Heh ... obviously PC manufacture is not an attractive career path for avionics engineers.... shame though..... no doubt a lot of things could be learnt.
Hah! The most money I've ever earned was as the owner of a computer company. I built CAD work-stations and one year they were the fastest PC based units in the world...at least at Comdex Fall in LV. Then windows came along. I told everyone that operating systems should be pure and dedicated to a specific job. Windows would never catch on.

I've just been arguing with 'er indoors about using one of the laptops to record t/v. I said that I didn't have time to catch up with the technology...so much of what I read here might as well have been from the dead sea scrolls. Different world now.