PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MATZ overfly. RT etc?
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2009, 16:47
ozbeck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MATZ overfly. RT etc?

I would appreciate the comments of some of you experienced flyers with relation to this scenario, since I have heard conflicting opinions on the best way to proceed. If it has been done before please refer me to the appropriate thread.

Scenario: I am flying on a track which will take me directly over a MATZ. I am at an altitude which puts me 3100 ft above the airfiled and I am receiving (for example) Traffic Service from another civilian ATC and squawking. My track would not warrant that I call up the MATZ for onward air traffic service.

So, should I:

a) Ignore (from an RT point of view) the MATZ since I am 100 ft above it and am not required to contact them according to the rules?

b) Request temporary change of frequency to the MATZ to let the MATZ know I am flying over, and then immediately return to my Traffic Service?

c) Request frequency change to that of the MATZ and request MATZ Overfly and receive traffic service from the MATZ for the 10 mile leg.

d) Divert and avoid the MATZ altogether just to avoid the complication.

The follow on question is then - would the answers be any different if I were higher, say for example 600ft above or if I wasn't directly over the ATZ within the MATZ but nearer the periphery?

I think I know what the rules say I am allowed to do, but it would seem a bit "in their face" to fly over without letting them know and I want to be as safe and conventional as possible.

All answers will be gratefully received as long as it doesn't get like the ongoing 'Standard Closing Angle' thread in the Instructors section, which is doing my head in!!!