PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPS Flight planning system
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2009, 14:34
ASCOT Ops Retd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used PPS for about 4 months. It's a simple enough program to use - enter some very basic data and it'll produce a PLOG - but you get what you pay for and I wouldn't describe it as particularly intuitive. The route finder is particularly thick and often heads down a particular airway and gives up, requiring the user to join up the dots and help it - something you don't need to do with Jepessen products. I'm also not convinced it optimises for weather anywhere near as well as Jepp - in fact in many cases I ended up asking a pal to run a Jetplan to compare, and ended up telling PPS to go the way Jetplan suggested!

That said, it depends what you want it to do. It is indeed very functional and far less fiddly than Jetplan - depends if your ops staff are computer biffers or not. If you fly set routes to set places it'll be fine, but if you do a lot of ad hoc charter stuff to different places, make sure you have a set of paper charts handy too, so you can force it down legal airways it doesn't even show you as options!

If you need more, feel free to PM me. If you've got a job paying 30k+ and near Swindon pleeease PM me