PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dubai Airshow 2009
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2009, 09:57
ATCO1962

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
recceguy,

I may be wrong, but I can't think of any other major airfield that routinely closes for an airshow each year so there must be some good reasons for NOT having an airshow at such fields. Perhaps you would be so kind as to suggest why having schedules thrown into chaos is a good thing for struggling airlines and their passengers.

Again, I'm one of the poor suckers in these parts who has to sort out the sometimes complicated results of these airshows being staged and it ain't always easy.

I love airshows and have taken my family members along to the ones that I could so my comments are not from an anti point of view. They are simply from someone who has worked here for around 20 years (my expertise, if you like) and one who knows from an inside track how silly it is to use Dubai for a good airshow when there are a number of other good alternatives in the UAE that wouldn't bring the disruption that results in holding the show in Dubai.

As for your comment about ATC being the centre of the aviation world; I think that that speaks volumes about yourself and not about air traffic controllers these days, who have our own type of CRM. We encourage our people to be team players, not only amongst ourselves but with every person involved in the business that we're in. We've come a long way, baby!