PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Water Bomber for Victoria
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2009, 09:11
FarmerPete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
notmyC150v2
So for a completely unknowledgable one such as I, could you please tell me (if you can), would the fire tragedies in Victoria this year have been avoided if we had some of these you beaut fire bombers on standby?

It just seems to me that these fires were so extreme and the weather so supportive of them, that nothing could have made a difference. Am I wrong?
I don't know..... How good is your crystal ball?

In an ideal world, there'd always be enough funds, so we'd get to find out. But in an ideal world, there wouldn't be any bad fires, anyway.

In theory, they might have made a difference in some fires and saved some people..... particularly in the case of fires that started on previous days and in milder conditions. Had they been extinguished then, results might be better. On the day itself and under the conditions prevailing, I doubt that any aerial resources would have made much difference.

The same can be said for firebreaks, trucks, earthmoving equipment, and all the other tools that firefighters use.

The best way to control a fire is to have it when you choose, rather than on a blow-up day. The best way to survive a bad fire is to be somewhere else.

Regards......... Peter