PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cirrus sr22
Thread: cirrus sr22
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2009, 08:02
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspect the huge Cirrus depreciation of the last year or two is a combination of

- the collapse in the GA market (only nichey products, with demand supported by no longer being made, have held up well - recent-model Mooneys and TB20GTs come to mind)

- a constant flow of new models with flashy new kit

- a LOT of sales in recent years, probably satisfying years of pent up demand for something modern and Made in America (just like Cessna sales rocketed after the USA passed that GA revitalisation Act)

- modern marketing, successful at digging out completely new customers who think of them as cars so depreciation is not much of a concern

- assorted teething troubles with the older Cirruses, perhaps? (One hears many stories of major avionics failures of the Avidyne kit, and I can't help wondering why, on my long trips, I so rarely see Cirruses having done long trips; could be that their European customer profile is not into going anywhere far, or it could be regular issues)

- similar to above, I might suspect significant downtime/hassle, caused not by the product being generally unreliable but by the need to fly it back to the dealer for most work (I know if I had a Cirrus then local maintenance would be hard and avionics work impossible with any glass cockpit model; it's a flight back to the Garmin/Avidyne dealer for anything at all). I would not expect this factor to translate to more Cirrus sales but the customers have nowhere else to go if they want something modern, and once you have had a glass cockpit you won't be going back from that.

I don't think there is anything "wrong" with a Cirrus as a plane (well apart from the lack of rpm control, and fixed landing gear ) but - along with a lot of other stuff out there - I sure would not want to own one unless I was based at an airport with a Cirrus dealer and the appropriate glass cockpit avionics dealer. That's why I am sticking with my TB20GT (sellable for about 140k which is a drop from 197k over 7.5 years) and if somebody offered to install a G600 for free I would not go for it.

If I really wanted the max speed and range from a single for 1000nm legs, I'd buy a used Malibu with pressurisation and a cabin-class interior
Unless you read the Aviation Consumer article reporting 10% of owners had in-flight engine failures. I know that article has been partly discredited but the real story behind the numerous engine failures is awfully hard to establish. I know one bloke who used to fly them for business, daily and he saw many failures in the fleet (though mostly "just" cylinder cracks rather than stoppages).

There is no good solution to this mission profile, below the turboprop level which is much more costly.