PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 16th Nov 2009, 18:02
squib66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engineering Ethics - No More, No Less

CEFOSKY said:
squibb, here is your cue to laud eurocopter ____. you were waiting for an invitation, no?

I honestly wish I could discuss the design and current work we are doing regarding the 92 MGB, but threads like these constantly reinforce why these things must stay confidential in analysis and development.

I'd hate for to take anything more from this thread and source it as fact in his monthly SAC-bashing columns in the canadian press.... as its par for the course for him thus far.
You don't really get it do you? It is no more about promoting one helicopter above the other than the Challenger and Columbia accident investigations promoted the Soviet/Russian space programme. This is about preventing accidents by not fudging critical tests. Engineering ethics in fact.

17 people are dead and you are more worried what a Canuck jounro has to say? Time to rethink your priorities buddy.

Or would you rather write the Cougar 17 out of the history books under the same cloak of secrecy you want to apply to R&D? Perhaps a little more integrity, openess and humility over the weaknesses in aircraft design and fewer people will lose their lives.

Uncle Squib's top tip on building long term market share and brand reputation:- get the aircraft right [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']before[/FONT] you start marketing it under a safety banner. Is that too much to ask?

Most OEMs would not want to be known for producing a rotary Ford Pinto (the Pinto fuel tank was [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']known[/FONT] to be a problem but fixing the problem that was killing people was deemed too expensive).

As comments above show, the Flight Manual is being used as a last ditch attempt to switch the responsibility for product integrity to the crew by forcing them to take actions that themselves are highly dangerous by the very nature of helicopter operations, this is in lieu of providing a capability that other OEMs can deliver without needing to be creative with FAR29.

Engineering ethics.

-----///\\------
----///-\\\-----
---|||4-|||-----Remembering
---|||9-|||-----Cougar
---|||1-|||-----Flight 491
----\\\-///-----
-----\\///------
------///\------
-----///\\\-----
----///--\\\----
Remembering Cougar Helicopter's flight 491 | Facebook

BTW I'll be keeping an eye out for the name Peter Cheney - I'd not noticed his name before so thanks for your help on that one buddy!
Articles by peter cheney