PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cirrus sr22
Thread: cirrus sr22
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2009, 12:31
paulp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since I have never had the chance to fly one, what I personally would like to hear is how actual SR22 owners have found the aircraft to operate and what the maintainance trouble spots are.
There is a lot to love about the SR22. Compared to the SR20 the biggest difference is climb. Having lots of power is nice. The wheel pants are tight so they are not a back country plane. Similarly, G1 and G2 aircraft have 7" of prop clearance. The G3 has more. Fit and finish improved year to year. G1 to G2 was a big improvement in fuselage related fit and finish. G2 to G3 had a big improvement in gear strut fit and finish. There is just a touch of truth to the beaten up Cirrus comments in that I have seen some that were pretty trashed out. However, they were fleet planes with close to 2,000 hours and had been left outside in the hot Georgia sun for years without even a sunshade in windscreen. There is too much use of velcro and double sided tape especially on G1's but when properly maintained everything works well.

As far as avionics, avoid the ARNAV in the used aircraft (personal opinion) and the Century HSI. The Sandel 3308 is massively better.

Join COPA (www.cirruspilots.org) if you are even remotely thinking of getting one. There is a massive amount of info there. Get the pdf of the Cirrus Pilot magazine issue that covered year to year changes if you are thinking of buying used.

If buying new, thee will be massive depreciation. Look at www.controller.com and get settled in on what to expect. If you buy everything you can on the plane there won't be a lot of useful load left. This is almost but not quite as bad as a fully loaded Mooney. Just run the numbers and make the tradeoffs that are best for you.

As far as flying qualities, the side stick is great. However, the spring centered trim system removes some feedback of air over the control surfaces. Harder to adjust to is the sight picture. If you are coming from a C182 you will have to get used to seeing the runway straight ahead in the flair. New pilots have trouble with this because of the vastly better forward visibility of the SR22. Another adjustment is speed management. Until you know what you are doing a good rule is 20" of manifold pressure when 20 nm out from your destination. Always get flaps in even if you have to go nose up to do it. It works fine once you get used to it but you don't have speed brakes or a draggy gear to drop down. If you get a turbo then the fat prop acts like a speed brake when the throttle is pulled back. It is a comfortable trip plane and will suck you in to long cross-country trips. Plan accordingly. WHen I flew a 172 I just looked outside for most trips. Even a go nowhere fun flight can take you a long way so always check weather.

Parts cost can be bad on some things but its certainly isn't any worse than a Beech. There is more maintenance because when you have more goodies in a plane there is more to go wrong. This isn't really type specific but most Cirrus aircraft are/were sold close to loaded. That means TAWS, Skywatch, Stormscope, ...

If you buy new schedule extra days beyond the transition training and do a good prebuy. Insist everything be fixed right there. Cirrus has cut staff and small issues like bad paint spots can slip out. Be picky.

Documentation, training etc. is first rate except they will teach you to land too fast. Speed management in a Cirrus is important. Go to the website and you can get the POH ahead of time. Perspective is powerful but complex. Synthetic vision is awesome. EVS is pretty cool too. However, Perspective is typical Garmin and just like a 430 it isn't natural the first time. My wife hates Perspective which is one reason we have a plane with Avidyne R9.

I don't have a turbo but owners are pretty much uniformly in love with them. They are simple to operate and have great performance.

The plane is great in turbulence and awesome to land in a crosswind. Unlike a V35 Bonanza, there is little to no tail waggle in turbulence.

Oh one more flying comment, the plane will slip with full flaps just fine. However the body is slick so make sure the slip is in the proper direction to present the side of the plane to a crosswind if you want to fall like a rock (usually why you are doing a slip).

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have specific questions. Got to run.