PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: 2003 YPJT Crash - Court Case Decision
Old 16th Nov 2009, 11:38
Ex FSO GRIFFO

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
Aye Cap'n.......Hence the post.

And, as an aside, those powerlines, although they seem to be 'well' to the south from the point where we all get airborne, I am very sure that they will appear to be a 'significant obstacle' to the pilot of an aircraft which either is not climbing, or one which is barely controllable and maybe, perhaps, gaining altitude - although be it very slowly.

The distance, as measured by Google Earth, from the brakes release point is only some 2.63 nm, or 4.87km.....

And for those who suggest that to go 'under' may have been an option - it is NOT!

For those not familiar with the layout at JT, there are actually three (3) sets of those powerlines, two 'high' and the third is smaller and 'low' - thus effectively 'filling in' the gap and blocking off that option - if that was a 'contemplation' in the first place - it would very soon become apparent that this is not a way to go....

To paraphrase Mr Gann, of 'Fate Is The Hunter' - he was a 'poor man indeed'.....

Understand, I was not part of this, but we are all going to be affected by this decision as it may apply to us in its own way.

That golf course just prior to the freeway may look very inviting when next I am 'commiting aviation', but even that would require some manoeuvring, first to the right to 'make room' and then a substantial left turn to line up sufficiently - IF the aeroplane is behaving satisfactorily on 'one'.

Or, would I hit the ground first??

The penultimate post quote 'because you weren't paying attention' is a bit of a 'red herring' - I would imagine that this situation would have one's 'complete and absolutely undivided attention'.....

Worrisome ? - Now there's a word.....

I do not propose any 'answers'...I wouldn't dare. Only the pilot in 'that' aircraft at 'that' time with 'that load', under 'those' conditions would be able to 'in hindsight' think what MAY have been able to be done 'better'.

For us, a valuable lesson in the way the law may regard our profession and our decisions. For the pilot, no doubt he would wish it didn't happen so.....

Like I said in the first post - Much food for thought here........

Cheers.

p.s. Sorry Di - was still composing as you were posting....

Last edited by Ex FSO GRIFFO; 16th Nov 2009 at 11:52.