PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NYPD Aviation Unit - Going shopping!
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2002, 09:45
Bronx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question NYPD Aviation Unit - Going shopping!

Hi Guys

Don't know if you've read about this on your side of the pond, but the NYPD is revving up to replace most of our aging helo fleet and we're going shopping for quicker and more powerful equipment to patrol the city's skies.

We're keeping our two Bell 412 Air Sea Rescue's we've only had a few years, but getting shot of our three Bell 206B III Jet Rangers and the Bell 206 L IV Long Ranger. Great helos and they get the most use but with two big guys up front, all the gear we carry and full gas, it can be kinda tricky carrying passengers!

Anyways, we're buying four new helos and the brass have decided that twins is probably the way to go - for better payload.
The NYPD is the biggest Police Department in the world so all the manufacturers are bidding to get the Unit badge on their helos.

We operate under extremely hazardous conditions in a very demanding environment - equipment failure is not an option!
It seems like you guys on Rotorheads operate every goddam helo under the sun somewhere in the world, so I'd be very interested in your thoughts and experiences.

My questions are ~

Which helo(s) would you recommend?
What are your reasons? (Speed, payload, reliability whatever?)
Any which you'd say 'No way, Jose' ?
Why?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Joe Zabaglione
Floyd Bennett Field, Brooklyn

(And guys, I'm new on the Rotorheads block, so go easy OK. )

One of our B412's (taken before 9/11.

Last edited by Bronx; 19th Jun 2002 at 22:12.