PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fitting your PPL into a CV!
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2002, 09:08
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AerBabe,

I agree with all the comments so far. It needs to go under "Hobbies and Interests", preferably in no more than one or two lines. It's not relevant to the job you're applying to, so it doesn't need any more than that. On the other hand, if your potential employer is interested in aviation, you can be sure s/he'll give you as much time as you want to talk about it in your interview!

You mentioned the life-skills you've gained from your PPL, such as confidence and decision-making. I'd suggest you put them in a paragraph where you introduce yourself - completely unrelated to the PPL. For example, "I'm a confident person, happy to make my own decisions when necessary." Then, if you get asked in an interview for an examle of where you've had experience of decision-making, you can expand on it.

(Of course, this changes if you're applying for an aviation-related job! I applied for an IT job at an avionics company, and sent them a slightly modified CV which included far more information about my flying. Didn't get invited for interview there, though...)

The important thing is to remember that the CV has only two purposes in life. Its first purpose is to get you an interview. Its second purpose it to provide a basis for talking about the things which you want to talk about in the interview. It's the interview - not the CV - which will get you the job.

FFF
--------------