PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2009, 05:13
oneflewnorth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dilmah G

Hey Dilmah,

That's a tough one but think of it this way. I'm not sure how it works in WA but in NSW you want a good overall mark (UAI here) in order to inevitably get into good courses. If you were to do applicable maths, as accepted by ADF, and did well in it would that give you a better overall mark than if you did Calculus?
I just feel that a better total mark will benefit you so pick the subjects that can provide that. Chemistry and Geography aren't a necessity, do them if you enjoy them. You can do Art and the ADF will take you! Maybe even pick one subject that provides an 'outlet'. What I'm getting at is that if you meet the minimum requirements you're safe but that doesn't mean you shouldn't push yourself. Don't pick Geography and Chemistry because you feel it will look good at DFR, pick the subjects you'll do best in and enjoy. Some level of enjoyment = motivation = marks. You can get into the ADF as a pilot with no physics and minimum applicable maths but I would definitely suggest taking Physics.

You need to speak to a year coordinator or similar to get the best advice. They can tell you if Applicable maths marks scale differently to Calculus or if your abilities are best suited for one or the other etc.

Sorry if I'm being blunt or making it sound like I think you shouldn't challenge yourself with Calculus, Chem and Geo, that's not the case, it's just that I feel that you should do the subjects you'll do best in and that you enjoy more than "to some extent". Pick something that interests you more, your marks will show it, it's all about marks.

When I went to recruiting they looked at my UAI (marks), if I'd done the correct maths and asked if I'd done physics. Hope that helps in some way.