PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Overweight Landing and Field Length
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2009, 03:57
Haroon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
---------------------------------------
To QualityTimes and FE Hoppy
---------------------------------------

I thank both of you for your responses. Just to remove some confusion let me say at this point of discussion that heavy weight landing is not an issue. Main issue at this point of discussion is about the landing distance available and required. i.e.

1) Whether one should apply the safety factor after airborne or not? If yes then how much, 67% or some other figure?

2) If 67% safety margin is required at dispatch to reduce the probability of an overrun then what is it that stops us not to adhere to our flight plan if the situation is not to Land ASAP. Is there anything explicit that stops from using the safety factor once airborne?

Even MEL is also a document to be used on ground for dispatch but its application after airborne can be pretty useful as it can help prevent an A/C to get stuck at a place where there is no maintenace.

----------------
To Intruder
----------------

Thankyou for your response. The unfactored 5700 landing distance includes air distance with Auto Brake Level 3. However after applying 67% safety factor AutoBrake 3 is not sufficient and Max Auto setting needs to be used. Max Auto stops the A/C even after applying the 67% factor but enters us into the Caution Zone in which wheel fuse plugs can melt. Since you normally dont use dispatch safety figures once airborne, this data wont affect your decision. Thanks anyways.

--------------------
To Everyone
--------------------

Thanks once again for your valuable contributions. I have my Sim check coming up on the 19th at London so I wont be able to spend much time here for the next one week I think. Take care all of you. See you soon.