PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cirrus sr22
Thread: cirrus sr22
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2009, 00:40
paulp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
This is not as flexible as having a separate prop control. In typical cruise flight there is no decrease in fuel economy relative to having a separate prop control.

Not correct. There is a big difference between 2200 and 2500 and especially 2700.
Interesting. I'll have to dig into this more since Hartzell claims max prop efficiency for my prop is around 2500 but what would they know. Considering how well the SR22 competes with planes like the A36 for efficiency then if this is true they could do really well.

This is an area where I can understand the preference for something other than the choice Cirrus has made. Having owned a Fiat 124 Spyder, Porsche 914/6, Mazda RX7 and Acura NSX (which I deeply miss) I can sympathize with wanting a less "automatic" system. Cirrus chose operational simplicity. There was an automatic version of the NSX but I didn't want it.

Quote:
Considering that I have a roomier cabin and gear hanging down that is pretty good.

Yes, a good bit of marketing
It's more than that. For many a fixed gear makes a plane less attractive. For those who want a fixed gear plane Cirrus (and Cessna Corvalis) are planes which give similar efficiency to a retract but with a fixed gear. Room also makes a difference. Some people willingly trade comfort for efficiency. Different planes go after a different balance. Cirrus chose a roomier cockpit. This is more than good marketing. It is choice.

IMHO the worst thing any manufacturer can do to their client base is constantly revise and rebrand their product line. This instantly devalues the last few marques the second the new label is announced.
You may get your wish with current management. However, a car company makes no money when an owner sells his used car. A car company makes money by convincing a person to buy a new car. When used is almost the same as new it raises used values until new doesn't seem that much more expensive but there is little incentive for the present owner to trade for a new item (car or plane). It was Cirrus' move to all glass that forced the hand of other manufacturers. It also made many people who already owned a Cirrus to trade up. That drove down used prices. I mentioned that in an earlier post. A company should be out to make a profit. That means generating sales. That means constantly generating excitement about the product and new reasons to buy. Consider other items you own. Your computer has been greatly devalued each year. Would you prefer that no new microprocessors or software were available? It would strengthen the marked for your used computer. How about automobiles? Have you been opposed to adding electronic engine control, anti lock brakes, air bags, crumple zones etc.? Each of these devalued older vehicles. The period when airplane values held up the best was when Cessna stop producing single engine piston planes. Crazy me but I don't want to go back to that just to shore up used prices. If we can just shut down Cessna, Cirrus and Diamond then used prices will firm up. That means they will be doing great. Oh wait, they won't be selling anything. Never mind.