PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SARH to go
Thread: SARH to go
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2009, 17:06
[email protected]

Received 644 Likes on 282 Posts
Max -
Civilian SAR has a low and unpredictable turnover of rearcrew,
because it has always had a supply of very well trained ex-mil guys.

Trust me that if this was a commercial decision, CHC would not be doing it. It will always be cheaper and quicker to employ a fully trained ex military SAR winchman
that depends on what pay scale you are offering - nowadays offering ex-mil guys less because they have a pension to rely on doesn't wash - the guys know their worth and many are hanging on for SARH jobs. So it still is a commercial decision. Did the post get advertised at all?

Aircrew first, paramedic second? - No argument here. Do we have to train them that way round? Of course you don't.
I and others believe otherwise - if he wasn't a paramedic you wouldn't give him all that medical training before aircrew training would you?
SARTU sees lots of fine chaps bursting with enthusiasm to be SAR winchmen but not all of them can do it despite any special skill sets they might have from previous lives.

I am sure he is a fine chap and I wish him the best of luck but at some point somone in your training setup might have to make a hard decision.