PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot handling skills under threat, says Airbus
Old 15th Nov 2009, 08:40
wobble2plank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find the trend of 'If you've got passengers behind you on a revenue flight then always use the automatics' in this thread mildly disturbing.

Automatics are very, very good and very useful they are not, in any way, shape or form 100% reliable. As the old computer adage used to go '$hit in $hit out', the reliance on use of full automatics will force the mistakes to go to other places. Wrong runways loaded for take off/landing, wrong STARS, wrong SIDS, incorrect setting of the cleared level etc. The level of FMC/FMA management will be the scene of the new 'handling' errors.

I have always found that when the weather is against me the automatics take a small part of the workload off of me at important times when I need to concentrate on more pressing matters such as diversion fuels, landing limits or system malfunctions. However, the maintainence of SA MUST be paramount at all times thus the aircraft must be monitored, in my opinion, as if the automatics are about to fail. RVSM makes it more interesting as specific losses will require vacating of RVSM airspace which adds to the complications.

The Airline I fly for allows the pilots to conduct manual, full visual approaches when they deem the weather fit. That allows the dropping of the autopilot and the switching off of the flight directors and flying a full manual approach. A 'glitch' in the training system doesn't allow for the disconnecting of auto thrust but the auto thrust may be disconnected if the Captain feels that it is not responding correctly to the aircraft flight path. That seems to happen a lot!

Do I feel by doing manual handling approaches that I am doing my passengers a 'dis-service'? Absolutely not. My primary purpose as a commercial airline pilot is the safe conduct of a revenue flight. I am there as the insurance policy in case things go horribly wrong. How can I be realistically expected to bring an aircraft safely down with multiple systems failures if I haven't kept my manual flying skills 'un-dusted'? The time you really need these skills is not going to be the time when you have weather and systems on your side.

Training is veering away from manual flying and going to use of automatics because it is faster, cheaper and can be done in the sim. If we are to maintain a core, base level of skill then these new pilots need to be advised to do manual approaches at every opportunity under the supervision of experienced Captains. In large companies these guys/girls will be the Captains when you are on your retired staff travel trips! Treat them well!

With money, not experience, being the new driver, the death of the 'Self Improver', the slow down of the influx of experienced military pilots into the Airline world, the explosion of 'Zero to Hero' Nil to ATPL training courses and the increasing automation making the job look easier we are making a rod for our own backs.

The automatics are there for a purpose, to offload the pilot and make the cockpit a decent working environment for doing 4-6 sectors a day on SH or 1 LH sector. They are not perfect, as the Airbus that rolled to 60 degrees AOB on approach to Berlin and disconnected the AP itself, showed me.

Lose your manual flying skills at your peril.