PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Winching problem
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2009, 03:59
Cabe LeCutter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crab initially made a sensible comment, the competency of the whole crew rather than just the pilot are factors to be looked at in an investigation, but environmental factors should also be considered. I agree that going on to to the deck clean and being in a good position to receive the medic is ideal, but I am sure that an investigation will decide if the thought processes were sensible. We do not know the facts so do not hang the crew on guesswork. I do not deny that the initial reports looks like someone made an error, but who really believes anything written in the press?

A technical point on the winch, if it was not a piece of kit out of the ARC (like the SeaKing 3/3A), it would have a slip clutch. The Goodrich hoist on the EP412 that I have flown breaks out at 1200 - 1500 pounds; that suggests to me that the cable was cut by abrasion on an object rather than a dead weight.

Bottom line guys, wait for the report, we may all have some good lessons to learn from honest reporing rather than hidden facts shrouded by fear of a Prune Kangaroo Court.

On the other hand, never let the truth spoil a good story

Heads Down, Look out for the flack.