PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SARH to go
Thread: SARH to go
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2009, 14:12
angelonawire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Know I shouldn't, but here's my tuppence worth

I would have to say that I agree entirely with the previous two posts,

When an Employer finds itself in a position where they have hired the individual on his previous merits as a Paramedic / diver / mountain rescue, Without a strict grading process prior to employment to ensure he/she has good spatial awareness, ability to problem solve and think on his feet, mental arithmetic and fitness levels.

and post the initial training period If there is not enough stringent continuation training given to cover all aviation related topics and strict standard maintained, what will you end up with?, probably a Paramedic wire straightener that needs constant wet nursing......."Nav,met,fuel checks etc, etc, nah that's pilot sh@t",.....and hoping that after scraping the standard on his initial training, putting him on his own will be just fine, he will improve with time.

.....what do you do then as the employer if you have concerns that the individual does not either come up to scratch or maintain his/her level of enthusiasm.....not so easy in civvy street, in the Mil you have CofC, standards visits etc to ensure he is up to standard and if not you have a means to terminate his flying carrer if he continues to fail the standard, In civvy street this guy has a contract, and if it is not very carefully written then you cannot simply sack him.

I am not saying that any will fail the "standard", but it needs to be considered and those concerned with setting it need to ensure it is maintained as it is all to easy to become complacent as a civvy with no standards breathing down your neck.

The emphasis most certainly does need to be on professional aviator training rather being confused with medical ability, you need to get to the cas SAFELY before you can do anything to treat him/ her