PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buried aircraft, spares etc
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2009, 13:01
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 things;

1, As Dunsfold was a repatriation base at the end of the war, seeing thousands of liberated POW's etc go through, it's thought some with ' loot ', rumours persist of such stuff buried around the airfield.

As our later photographic section faced the woods to the W of the 'field, we quite often saw some hopeful characters with metal detectors.

2, Before joining up in Jan' 42, my Father & his younger brothers would watch the B of B etc, and when any aircraft came down, would jump on their pushbikes and usually be there before the authorities.

When his family moved, the boys buried their cache of machine guns, ammo & bits in the garden near Billingshurst West Sussex.

Many years later we were driving past when dad was horrified to see their old house being knocked down, and wondered whether to tell someone - he decided ( wrongly in my view but ... ) not to.

Nothing has been built on the site, it's just grass now; I have no idea if anything was discovered.

3, I have also been told by our gardener, who has lived and worked on the area all his life, including ploughing, that large portions of Lancaster, esp. the wings apparently, are shallow underground in a spot not far from Midhurst - it has been left alone as probably the landowners don't want the hassle, and because it seems the crew did not get out; both pretty lame excuses, a proper burial should be arranged for a start if the story is true ( the site is within view of our garden ) but this area is full of rich landowners who couldn't give a hoot about anything like that.