PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Overweight Landing and Field Length
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2009, 10:18
Quality Time

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haroon

As has been stated before the 1.67/1.92 factors apply to the planning stage, once you are airborne not so.

IMO you don't have to have an emergency situation to justify landing overweight. Even FO Hoppy undermines his own argument by highlighting the requirement.....
  • Any malfunction that would render the aircraft unairworthy.
A 737 that cannot pressurise is in that condition IMO. OK you could fly it unpressurised but probably to the nearest maintenance base to make it 'airworthy' again.

The Boeing FCTM does not make a big deal out of overweight landings.The first sentence stating........'Overweight landings may be safely accomplished by using normal landing procedures and techniques.'

I note also that the B737 Management reference Guide (Author PBoone)
includes the following guidance on overweight landings.

Recommended
  • A malfunction that seriously affects the airworthiness of the a/c
  • A condition whereby a late landing would increase the exposure to a degrading level of safety
  • One engine inop
  • A serious illness requiring ammediate medical attention
Permitted
  • A malfunction not directly affecting the airworthiness of the a/c
  • An unplanned diversion
Remember also that you are receiving input on pprune from all over the world from the USA via Europe to Australia so different authorities apply and different aviation cultures too.

Not making light of the scenario,it's one of those that will split opinions/actions. I have said I would land but on the day I might not do so immediately.Some operations manuals will give clear guidance where others will leave it to the Captain on the day.

Call operations if you can so they get the bo**ocking if it goes pear shaped!

Either way cover your ass and do what you believe to be safe and legal.